Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Listening While Doing: Podcasts



One of my favorite things to do while making is listen to podcasts. I my day-to-day life I never feel like I have the chance to listen to a full 40-minute episode (unless I’m on a really long commute).  If I do have time to listen while I’m at home, I get fidgety and can’t sit still or feel like I shouldn’t be just sitting there.  That’s why I’ve found it’s such a great thing to do while making something. I feel no guilt listening to hours of back logged episodes of my favorite shows. I even think I concentrate better on the content when my hands are busy. I often get inspired by what I’m listening to since many of the podcasts are about creatives and makers, hearing about their work keeps me inspired to continue with mine. Here is a list of a few of my favorites, hopefully they will inspire you too!

1.     Still Untitled: The Adam Savage Project- This is Adam Savage’s  podcast (of Mythbusters) about making. My boyfriend turned me onto it since I had never really been a fan and didn’t know Adam’s history as a maker. Needless to say I am a convert. The format is very casual, just three guys talking, but Adam has so much knowledge and experience about making. I could (and might) write a whole post about him.
2.     Fresh Air- This has been my favorite podcast for years. The host, Terri Gross does long form interviews with artists, authors, reporters and other thinkers and doers. She always asks the most interesting questions, and gives people a chance to really talk. This is especially great to listen to while making because, since its in Q&A format, you don’t have to give your full attention all the time to enjoy it.
3.     99% Invisible- This is a super fantastic show about the hidden design elements in our everyday life. It’s one of those shows that makes you look at the world around you in new, more detailed and questioning ways. So many times I have had audible exclamations because the ideas were so interesting.

Hope it inspires and keeps you busy! -Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment