Saturday, May 18, 2013

How to Deal with Making Mistakes



When you try to make something new (or make something at all) making mistakes is part of the process. It took me a long time to understand this. I would always beat myself up for it or not want to try something new for fear of doing it wrong or messing it up. I finally had to hear it said outright to make it stick in my mind—making mistakes is part of making, everyone does it, just accept it, learn from it and keep going.

Once this finally got through my head, and I started adding in the ‘mistake time’ to my projects, I worked better and learned more than I had before. I also got braver with trying new projects or techniques, because I wasn’t as scared of making mistakes anymore. It was a freeing experience, and vital to keeping me going and continue working.  Here are some tips to keep in mind that will help you deal with mistakes:

1.     Don’t beat yourself up- Mistakes are part of the process. Everyone does it. If you don’t then you are not learning as much as someone who does make mistake. Which brings me to number two..
2.     Learn from it- Figuring out how and why you made that mistake and then problem solving how to fix it is as important as the process of building whatever you are building.
3.     Buy extra materials.- For each project you do, especially when you are doing something you have never done, you should buy extra materials. So if you need 1 yard of fabric, buy two or if you need three 2x4s, buy four. If you don’t use them, you will have them for your next project. If and when you make a mistake, you will be so happy you don’t have to go back to the store!

I’ve seen this carrying over in other parts of my life. When making a mistake is just an opportunity to learn, it doesn’t seem as difficult or horrible. The more you make, the easier it gets. So start now! :) -Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment